Coffee Break: Behind the scenes of a pivot 
Welcome back to the Process podcast!
It's been months and months since my last episode, but I'm coming back full swing in 2017. I've got great episodes scheduled for the next few months, so stay tuned for all of this awesomeness on creativity and making stuff with peace of mind.
This first episode of the year (#035) is what I'm calling a Coffee Break, or an episode where I take you behind the scenes of my own creative process and struggles I'm navigating with my projects.
In this episode I'll dig into the question:
How should I manage my shift in writing topics?
- Who is my new target audience?
- Should I create a new project for this new writing topic, or should I keep writing at my current website?
Let's get to it!
Listen to the episode
Things I mention:
Questions you can use to help define your audience:
- What is their age range?
- Are they male or female?
- Are they married or single?
- What’s their pain … what problems are they trying to solve?
- What hobbies do they enjoy?
- What kind of movies or TV shows are they attracted to?
- What’s their favorite genres to read?
- Do they read or subscribe to specific magazines?
- What other publications do they subscribe to?
- Are they Super Readers (meaning they devour anything in the genre)?
- What authors do they read (meaning are they Super Fans of any)?
- Do they buy on impulse or are they coupon clippers?
- Are they sports fans?
- What social media platforms do they hang out on … and are you using them?
- What do they want, like, and need?
- What kind of thing will make them laugh or settle in to read more?
- What are the pain points and stressors in their lives and business that they wish they could find a solution to?
- What will induce them to buy, or what will hold them back from taking the leap?
- What will make them feel like they have achieved success, or like they’ve failed?
If you're facing a similar issue in trying to figure out who your target audience is, feel free to take these questions and answer them yourself.
Thanks for listening to episode #035! And thank you for coming back in 2017! Let me know what you thought on Twitter? I'm @marcinator over there.
If this Coffee Break episode resonated with you, I'd appreciate it if you'd post a review over on iTunes. That way, more people will find the show, too!
Remember to tune into the next episode with Moose Winans over here!